|heart shaped box >
skeleton & skin >
curse your boyfriend >
bad juju > eternal embrace > snowball's chance in hell >
ripe with indecision & mere indecision > swamp witch > flowers on a grave
Skeleton & Skin
First, build a skeleton using your sewing skills. Next, knit an interchangeable skin. Part 1 in a series of 4 skins. [Editrix's note: series was discontinued.]
Skeleton Schematics (pdf format; large and easy to read)
Unless otherwise noted, all seam allowances are .5".
Directions for Skeleton
1. Cut out bag pieces per cut chart.
2. Fuse interfacing according to product directions to corresponding outer fabric pieces.
3. Mark dots on each 10"x8" outer fabric/interfacing piece on the interfacing side according to figure A.
4. Fold down top 1" of each pocket, right sides together. Seam fold down along each vertical edge with .25" seams according to figure B.
Turn pockets right sides out, press, stitch fold down across raw horizontal edge. Press in .25" allowance around unseamed edges of pocket.
5. Pin pockets to right sides of lining fabric of large bag sides according to Figure Ca and Cb. Stitch in place close to edges of pocket to capture pressed seam allowances.
6. For lining: Seam short sides of gussets to short sides of bag bottom to form one long strip as in Figure D. Attach large sides of bag to the long strip making sure the pockets open upwards.
7. Outer bag. Work as for lining, but use outer fabric and make sure that dots on large sides of bag are on the unseamed top edge.
8. Fold handle strips in half, right sides together to create two 5"x 3 .25" rectangles. Seam along 5" edge, turn, and press.
9. Fold handle strips over purchased rigid handles and stitch as closely to the handles as possible to keep the strips from slipping.
10. Nest bag and bag lining together, right sides together. Stitch them together, leaving openings between the dots on the outer bag. Turn and press.
11. Center handle strips in openings, pin in place, and top stitch around upper edge of bag, securing handles in place and creating a nice finished edge.
12. Sew buttons to bag's upper edge according to figure E.
Measurements go here.
5.5 sts per inch in stockinette
Directions for Skin
Bag Gussets: (make 2)
CO 19sts, knit in stst for 6" ending with a WS row. Knit in 1x1 rib for 3 rows.
Bag Front/Back: (make 2)
Cast on 51 sts.
Seam all pieces of bag with wrong sides facing so a seam ridge will form on the right sides of the finished bag. Weave in ends.